Tuesday, November 12, 2013

On My Way & Immerse Wish

This week, for Gallery 30 of 52 Photos Project, Bella asks us to share a photo representing the prompt
ON MY WAY



I really feel that where I am, right now, and where I am heading in my experience as claiming myself as an artist, is well represented in this photograph. After becoming deeply inspired by an amazing artist I spent time with in a workshop last summer, I began immersing myself in a medium I have long been fascinated by and interested in attempting-mixed media collage. At that workshop, another artist acquaintance suggested that I should join a local collage organization called the Northwest Collage Society, which at the time, I did not take much note of, as I had not even begun to dabble in creating collages myself. But few weeks later, after I had begun my exploration of creating collages, even though I felt I was "out of my league", I went ahead and joined, knowing it could offer me opportunities for workshops, connections, ideas, support and inspiration as I experimented with my latest creative obsession. Shortly thereafter,  I received notification about their upcoming annual members juried art exhibit, with the submission deadline about a month away. Although the prospect of entering excited me, it also scared me...as I had only been doing this for a few weeks, where many of the members were "professionals", who showed and sold their work in galleries, taught workshops on collage and in general, had much more experience, knowledge, ability (and talent!) than I could dream of! I went back and forth with these conflicting feelings of wanting to go for it and then thinking "Are you CRAZY to even THINK about putting your stuff out there with that level of "company", you'll only feel crappier about your art when you get rejected!" *sigh* (seriously, does anyone else have the kind of mean inner self-doubt demon that I do?!) I mentioned the exhibit to my number one fan (my amazing and adoring husband) and he immediately said "Go for it! Show me what you've got so far!" I reluctantly led him out into my garage studio, and pointed to the stack of about 12 collages I had completed. This was his first time seeing them (which was nerve-wracking in itself), but he thoughtfully and carefully studied each one, chose three without hesitation, and said "I think you should enter these, they are the ones I like the most". They were not the ones I would have picked to enter, but I trusted his opinion, and so, with a little more of his encouragement (pushing and cajoling and sweet talking is more like it!), I said "Oh what the hell!" and a few hours later, photographs of the three pieces were emailed and that was that. 
Long story "short", all three pieces were accepted into the exhibit, (overall, around 100 pieces of artwork were submitted by members, and 64 were accepted) and at the exhibits opening night artists reception, I received an award for one of my pieces, entitled "Renaissance". It was such an unexpected surprise, and really helped to lessen the volume of that mean voice inside me...the one that wants me to be more afraid of failing than excited about creating and trying. I really think that I might be on my way to a more positive and brave claiming of my artistic self.

And what a great synchronicity that has with this week's Wishcasting Wednesday, where Jamie asks us:
WHAT DO YOU WISH TO IMMERSE YOURSELF IN?

I wish to IMMERSE myself in my CREATIVITY!
To create without fear, doubt, expectations or comparison.
To create with trust, playfulness, knowing and abandon.
To get lost in and led to and found by my unique and divine and necessary creative expression.
To align with my Muse, and bare my soul and heed my heart.
I wish to immerse myself in my CREATIVITY!

What is your wish for this week?
(thank you for listening!)

Happy Me-Laurie Z!


6 comments:

  1. I love your story














    I love your story! Isn't it funny how it seems that the pieces you like the best are not the ones that someone else would choose or like? Congrats on your success!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for so much space. Don' know what happened. Maybe I should put on my glasses.

      Delete
  2. Congrats Laurie Z!! What a wonderful and inspiring story! One that I very much needed to hear today, for I too have a mean inner self-doubt demon who appears to utter the same frightening messages in my ears!

    As Ralph Waldo Emerson once said "Every artist was first an amateur"
    Looking forward to hearing more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creativity is one of my wishes as well!

    As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura Z...You Are Enough!! Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful story. I do know what it's like to have the voices quieted. Good for you for putting yourself out there.
    Thank you for adding to On My Way.

    ReplyDelete