Monday, May 7, 2012

Monday Make-It:Marbled Hearts

Awhile back, I came across a sale on FIMO clay at Michaels, so of course, I had to scoop up a handful of various colors to give it a go! I don't have much (ie: any... unless 6th grade ceramics class counts!) experience in clay or pottery, and my small motor skills are equal to about a 3 year olds, so I wasn't expecting to accomplish much...I just couldn't resist all of those pretty colored squares of possibility for only NINETY NINE CENTS EACH!
I decided to first mix two colors together to attempt a marbling effect, which was pretty easy, as long as I didn't get too carried away with the squishing & twisting of the two hunks of clay (which could simply make it a muddied color of blech!). I then rolled the marbled hunks out flat onto wax paper & used a small heart shaped cookie cutter to cut the shapes. I also made some freehand hearts and round shapes. Next I took a piece of thin guage wire and twisted it into a loop, cutting it off short and poking it gently into the top of the heart to make it into a necklace pendant. After baking according to package instructions, I started the most fun part of the creation-decorating & personalizing each heart. Using E6000 glue, I added embellishments such as beads, sequins and clothing labels to decorate. I also used Mod Podge to adhere words cut out from magazines on some of them, painted with glitter paint and put wired beads in the bottom of a few too.

Here are some of my creations...



These were easy, fun & inexpensive to create and the possibilities for one-of-a-kind personalization is endless! I thought they would make unique Mothers day gifts, so today I'll be packaging up some to mail out to my mom, daughter and a few special friends! (shhh, don't tell them!)

Have a wonderful & creative day!
Happy Me-Laurie Z!


1 comment:

  1. I love these! What a great idea, and it would be fun to do with the kids to make prezzies for their grandmas.

    ReplyDelete