Saturday, January 4, 2014

Parental Advice

Today I am using the first (of what I predict will be many!) journal prompts I have collected to share in this post. I have literally hundreds of questions, prompts and "ponderments" to make my (longed for!) daily journal practice a reality...but honestly, this is the very first time I have actually utilized one of them! (lucky you, lol!)
WHAT IS THE ONE PIECE OF ADVICE YOUR PARENTS GAVE YOU THAT STILL STICKS WITH YOU TODAY?
I would have to say that one thing which I think of often and wish to help guide me on my path is something my daddy always said:
"DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO DO AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T HURT ANYONE ELSE"
I'm pretty certain that I have NOT followed this advice on FAR too many occasions...but I also am pretty certain that I try much harder NOT to do that (hurt anyone) these days. However, I have also come to see that oftentimes, the "hurt" is not necessarily about what I did, but is more about the other persons "stuff", so it can become a fine line to figure it out. I may choose to do something which does not really get the popular vote from others, but that, to me, is not in actuality "hurting" them...it is just no doing what THEY think I should be doing. So this advice says/means to me: follow your heart, listen to yourself, do what makes you happiest because at the end of the day, it is YOU YOURSELF you have to live with and feel proud of and know you are being true to yourself.  I have learned it is poitnless to do EVERYthing just to make another person happy. That being said, of COURSE I do things I know will make those I care about happy...which in turn, almost always makes ME happy as well! Yeah, can be a fine line there, but still good advice if you ask me.

Thanks for reading.
Happy Me, Laurie.


No comments:

Post a Comment